Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wedding in Malawi

I was playing (cello) for my pastor's daughter's wedding today and it, like most weddings, was a beautiful ceremony. But the one thing that stuck out to me most was when the pastor talked about equality. A marriage isn't about equality because to be equal means to be separate, to be separate individuals. Marriage is about oneness; its about unity. Completing each other to become one another. In order to achieve that oneness, both have to submit. Now that word alone comes with a negative connotation. Are women just supposed to live by some double standard? No, don't confuse this with subjugate. While submit is willingly, subjugate is by force, and that's where the double standard comes in.

Quite frankly, I think submission is a beautiful thing. Both the husband and wife sacrifice their own needs to serve each other. There is no struggle for equality as they become the same entity. There are no hierarchies. To submit is to sacrifice, and what better sacrifice than one for love? That's what God did for us. Sacrifice out of love. Submit out of love.

I was reading the COTN venture training manual and I came across this verse:
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!"
Philippians 2: 5-8

This verse really just reminded me of putting other's needs before my own whether it be the needs of the kids, my fellow interns, or the COTN staff. I need to make myself nothing (wow!) so that God can make me something. Through submission, we can be a united front, working as different parts to achieve oneness, to become one body of Christ. I really pray that we will all be able to submit, to be able to put our prides aside and remember that we are serving each other, serving God.

and so when the time came to say those words which would seal that promise...

Pastor: "repeat after me... 'I Kenny.....agree to honor, cherish, and love you, so long as I live'"
Groom:"I Kenny.... agree to honor, cherish, and love you so long as I live"
Pastor: "Do you?"
Groom: "Do you?....I mean, I do"
(audience cracks up)
and when it was the bride's turn, she, with a corrective air, said, "I do"
(audience chuckles)

I really hope they do, Best of luck Kathy and Kenny! :)

Love, Love, Love,

Angela

1 comment:

  1. i love what he said in the wedding vows. That's really cute! i think i want to write my own wedding vows and make it personal :) and funny. i love weddings!!!

    ReplyDelete